Why Do You Need to Use a Rug Pad?
- Safety. Fluffy, warm, soft rugs are created to bring us comfort, provide additional heat and sound insulation, and decorate the interior. However, if the rug doesn’t hold firmly enough in its place, it can actually become a tripping hazard and a source of irritation. After all, slipping and tripping can easily lead to a fall or even a fracture. Why risk your health if the problem is solved with one budget-friendly accessory – an anti-slip rug pad. A rug pad is a simple solution that glues your rug to the floor and prevents it from moving around. The rubber material of the pad makes it steady, and at the same time very gentle. If you do not use a special rug pad in rooms with hardwood, parquet, linoleum, and tile floors, then rugs of any size will slip strongly. It holds the rug on the floor, making your house walkarounds safe.
- It softens the rug. Rug pads provide an extra absorption of the load, making the rug softer and more pleasant to walk on. A thick rug pad that you place under the rug makes your rug feel more comfy and soft, it adds additional cushioning. Moreover, the soft cushion of the rug pad has soundproofing features, and is perfect as a floor sound barrier, improving the general room acoustics. It means that late-night TV watching won’t disturb your neighbors that much, as the sound level will be lower.
- It’s easier to clean the rug. Another benefit is that anti-slip rug pads are often made from materials that do not absorb odors. The non-slip pad construction provides good ventilation to the carpet, which prevents it from getting moist. Without proper air circulation, different bacteria, mildew, mold, mildew, and other harmful organisms can breed. This is a common situation people have to face when deciding how to wash bath mats. If you don’t clean it in time, bacteria and mold under the rug will destroy the floor and can even cause rotting of the rug. If you use a rug pad, dust easily flies through the padding, making it easy to vacuum clean the rug.
- It protects the floor. A good rug pad acts as a protective shield between the floor and the rug and prolongs the life of the floor. It will also prevent scratches due to the heavy moving furniture legs. It will also prevent debris and dirt from getting between the rug and the floor and scratching it. Moreover, some rugs tend to color the floor with excess dye, caused by the change of temperature or heavy use. The rug pad will be the guard, preventing the coloring agents from getting into the flooring.
- Longer lifespan of the rug. Hardwood floors and tiles are not very friendly to the rugs. Delicate rugs made of thin material get compressed, loose color, and look older. A good rug pad will definitely slow down this process, it will take away the stress from the rug and make it look lively and fresh for a longer time.
How to Choose a Rug Pad?
The choice of an anti-slip rug pad is based on a few factors.
1. Material. When choosing a pad, first of all, pay attention to the material. A few options are available on the market:
● foam material;
● rubberized thread and so on.
Each of these materials brings a unique benefit to the table. Before you choose which rug pad to buy, think about where the rug will be located. For example, if you place it in high-traffic areas such as the kitchen or living room seating, it’s better to choose the pad that provides an excellent grip. In such a case, a rubber pad is the best solution.
Rubber and felt rug pads are the most universal solutions and the top-selling choice among homeowners. Such rugs provide more grip, are comfortable enough, and protect the flooring. We also recommend staying away from the gridded rubber pads, which are “non-stick”, because, with time, they can fuse into the rug and damage it.
- Size and thickness. The thickness of the non-slip backing depends on the size and hardness of the carpet. So, for a small rug with an area of no more than 2 sqm, a thin 2 mm rug pad is suitable. But if the product is large or you need to give it additional softness, it’s better to choose a thickness of up to 6 mm.
To sum it up, a rug pad is an obvious fix to many problems. While safety is the top benefit, it will also keep your floor protected and extend the life of your area rug.